Pack News

Pack News

Pack News

Eastlake’s New Salamander

Eastlakes New Salamander

Eastlake has a growing aquatic family. Whether it is fish tanks in the classrooms, marine biology dissections, or the two axolotls in the transition room Eastlake has some interesting critters. Now joining them is a brand-new axolotl named Swim Shady.  

This axolotl inhabits Mr. Wessel’s room and was named by students. Shortly after Swim Shady was picked up by students and introduced to his new home Mr. Wessel’s created a forms quiz to name the unique pet. Out of 200 entries, swim shady was the eventual winner by 18 votes. Out of 200 entries, swim shady was the eventual winner by 18 votes.  

The students were not the only reason for the axolotl as it was bought due to its unique biology. Axolotls regrow almost any limb if that limb had nerves or a bone inside. Scientists are trying to use that natural phenomenon to find a way to help cure cancer. By finding a way to replicate the duplication and regrowth of nerves and blood vessels as well as harness the ability to turn cells into stem cells scientists hope to finally find a cure. While this research sounds like mumbo jumbo to a lot of Eastlake Students the honors biology classes have a unit on this.  

Since the start of the teaching of this to honors biology about 6 years ago Mr. Wessels has been looking to find one of the cute Mexican salamanders. They are not the easiest creatures to find in pet stores. But with the help of Eastlake’s own, Mr. Owen-Kachikis, he was able to find one. Swim Shady is joining two other Axolotls at Eastlake. Hopefully giving both Wilma and Wolfie a friend Swim Shady is now a part of Eastlake’s aquatic family. As Mr. Wessels says, “I think he’s the cutest little guy I’ve ever seen like he’s just if you’re watching pictures of him like you can’t help but fall in love with this guy.” Eastlake is happy to welcome Swim Shady and if any student would like to see the critter, he is currently in room C116.