Do phones being taken away help us focus more or less?

TEACHERS

Teachers all around the school take students phones for the period, some say that they are worried about their phones when they don’t have it, while most of others focus either way.

Teachers around the school are taking phones. Some lay the expectation that you don’t use your phone in class or that you give teachers respect while they are trying to help you.

Ms. Fleet thinks that it is disrespectful to have a phone out when you’re having a conversation with another person. She states “If I’m having a conversation with you, you would find it disrespectful if I pull out my phone. Same thing goes for when a teacher is giving instructions.”

Some teachers say that students should not be on their phones and should be able to control themselves. Mrs. Sherman is a mathematics teacher and states “I wish students knew how to control when to use their phones appropriately.”

Mrs. Sherman and Mr. Tracy agree with each other in regards of students use of phones in class. Mr. Tracy takes phones at the begin of class so that he doesn’t have a conflict with his students being on their phones.

Ms. Che has her students put their phones into a bucket in the middle of the desks and has them trade out phones for calculators. That way students can still focus without worrying about what happens to their phones.

STUDENTS

Students mostly agree with what the teachers say. But surprisingly Jane Roos disagrees.

Jane states “I think that we should always have our phones. There is no reason for teachers to take them.”

Teachers take phones. There is no denying it. My 9th grade La/ss teacher took our phones and I know it helped me. For some people phones being taken don’t work. Try to focus.