Pack News

Pack News

Pack News

“Asking Admissions”: Personal and Diversity Essays

For some at Eastlake, October and November are simply the months leading into winter break, but for seniors it’s college application season. The first wave of these college apps was the early action deadline on November first. For the applications coming up, here are some tips:

Personal Statement:

• Be unique – whether it be your personality, something you stand for, or an experience that impacted you, let the college know what’s important to you. Being unique allows for colleges to really meet who you are and evaluate how you will impact their community.

Diversity Essay:

Carroll College’s Senior Associates Director during his interview at Eastlake
    • Embrace your culture – the Senior Associates Director at Carroll College, Ty Eisbach, really enjoys when students write about culture, because “oftentimes I get to learn a lot about students backgrounds.” He highlights sharing and educating others in your culture, because it connects to how you will add to the college community.

For students who aren’t seniors yet, Ty Eisbach suggests juniors take courses that accurately reflect their interests and show an upward trend in challenging themselves. “Those are the last set of grades colleges really look at,” so focus on maintaining your grades rather than extracurriculars.

If you have any concerns about the college application process you can reach out to the college and career counselor, Karen Stevens, or the admission officer for that college. For more information about essays, Karen Stevens, released a website: College Essays – Eastlake High School (lwsd.org)