Eastlake DECA sends over 100 students to state

Eastlake DECA

Eastlake DECA students competed at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue. Photograph can be found on Eastlake DECA’s Instagram @eastlakedeca.

Chaeyoung Yoon

Eastlake DECA held their district competition on January 5th at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue. Nearly 2000 competitors from 10 high schools competed in over 30 different events. DECA is a competition-based club that prepares students to be leaders and entrepreneurs by competing in categories such as marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. Students participate in role plays or written examinations and present in front of judges.

Area 3 President Kiera Foley (’23) and Eastlake DECA President Bianca Timofte (’23) described the DECA experience.

Foley said DECA is “super big, super competitive, but also super fun,” no matter whether one does well or not. Adding on, Timofte said that DECA is “for anyone who wants to learn how to give an effective presentation” and that DECA teaches valuable skills to participants.

When asked about their favorite part of DECA, both Timofte and Foley responded that getting to meet and interact with new people was a highlight of their DECA experience.

As a final advice, both encouraged students to try out DECA.

Over 100 Eastlake students out of the 315 who competed at the district competition will be moving on to the DECA state competition on March 2-4. The full list of area qualifiers can be found on Eastlake DECA’s Instagram.